Academic Students (F-1 Visa):

The F-1 visa is available to a foreign national who is qualified to pursue a full course of academic study. A reduced courseload is available upon the advice of school officials when there are difficulties with the English language or reading requirements.


  • A prospective nonimmigrant student must first be accepted for enrollment in a school certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) . In Utah there are over 100 certified schools.
  • Your school will issue you a document called a Form I-20. This document provides supporting information in order to receive a student visa.
  • You must obtain a passport that is valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States. There may be country-specific exemptions.
  • Complete a DS-160. This is the basic application form for non-immigrant visas. The electronic application can be found here.
  • Schedule an interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country. A list can be found here.

Spouses and children of an F-1 visa holder may obtain an F-2 visa in order to join the F-1 visa holder.

Vocational Students (M-1 Visa):

The M-1 visa is for a foreign national who is qualified to pursue a full course of vocational study.

Spouse and children of an M-1 visa holder may obtain an M-2 visa in order to join the M-1 visa holder.

student, vocational, vocation, visa, f-1, m-1